Kourtney Robinson – Dollybird Workshop Rotating Header Image

Moby Blanket aka The Great White Afghan

img_3362

It started with a couple balls of Noro Silk Garden over a decade ago.  I’d planned a little felted bag or two – but the first bag didn’t turn out like I wanted.  So I frogged the second one, and slowly collected more Silk Garden, for a variety of failed ideas over the years. That first little bag was finished on a car trip with my then-new boyfriend (who is now my husband of almost eleven years).  Sometimes projects take me a while*.  I’m sure you all know how that goes.

In the early summer, I was amalgamating my stash**, and collected all my Noro Silk Garden, both yarn and partially complete projects.  I, uh, have a significant amount.

img_0095

I divided the yarn into piles – sort of neutral*** and sort of colourful, then partnered the colourful up with Cascade’s Eco yarn (which I also had a goodly amount of).  I don’t crochet much, and when I do, most of the time it’s this Circle-In-A-Square .  It’s what I used to try and make a replica Crunchie for E___ years ago; it’s what I use for baby blankets. img_0792

I spent the early part of the summer cranking out the circles; I got about 4.5 circles from a ball of Silk Garden.  After I finished about 75 circles, I started turning the circles into squares with the Eco; I could get about 16 circles into a square with one big bump of the Eco.  I used a 5.0mm hook; and as is the nature of any stash busting project, I OBVIOUSLY needed to go and buy more yarn.

img_1273

I needed more yarn a couple different times.  This turned out to be a blessing in disguise – I borked the background colour choice a couple times and actually have three slightly different tones of ‘natural’ or ‘off-white’ or ‘cream’.  I didn’t notice this until well into the process… and I couldn’t face frogging back, waiting for the right colour to be ordered in, buying yet more yarn, and then re-crocheting the circles back into squares again.  I’d finally found the right project for the yarn and I was feeling every bit as obsessed as Captain Ahab chasing Moby Dick… which is how I named the blanket Moby.

img_2413

By late summer I’d finished eighty squares and decided I was ready to start joining the things together.  I’m truly unable to embrace randomness, so I headed to the backyard with a white sheet and good intentions.  I thought maybe if I just laid them out willy-nilly… or maybe if I rearranged them… or maybe if I… or maybe… (Don’t I look optimistic in that selfie? Little did I know that deciding the order of the squares would literally take more time than joining them.)

img_2412

Hours passed and it got dark and dewy (and I suspect my mom and S___ got tired of virtually identical texts from me that said ‘what about this one?’) so I came inside and rethought my strategy.  After a couple days, I grouped my squares from light to dark by colour family.  I sort of swapped them around to be roughly equal, then filled out my blanket shape with the darkest in the corners, shading to the lightest in the center.

img_2630

The cats supervised the process closely.

img_2638

I basted the squares together with neon acrylic (just because), joined them with Eco, and went around the edges with Silk Garden.  Then I tossed the whole thing into the washer then the dryer.  Start as you mean to go on – and if this blanket is an every day, used-by-everyone blanket, it is going to be machine washed…

img_3349

The cats and the rest of the family love the blanket.  This is me, rolling myself up in Moby Blanket, just to give you a sense of scale.  I’m 5’10.  Moby Blanket is LARGE.

img_3357

He lives on the couch; and because I derped the background colours and he’s not ‘perfect’, I don’t need to live in dread of the first time someone drops something on him.  (As well, see above, about machine washing.)

img_3532

Moby Blanket took about five skeins of Cascade Eco; and about 18 skeins of Noro Silk Garden.  There’s almost 4,000m of glorious yarn in Moby Noro… and don’t mention to non-crafters about what that much yarn is worth…

Once I actually decided what all the yarn was SUPPOSED to be, the project went by quickly enough, I guess!  June 7 – September 15 2016, according to the date stamps on my photos :)

*Lets not talk about the quilt I started in 1995 or so for S___.  Or fine, since we mentioned it, I have an unfinished quilt that is, uh, like twenty years old. Whatever.

**Totally a thing, if you keep your stash in more than one place.  Which is totally a thing for me.  I keep my favorite skeins in my office, so I can pet them more often.

***Yes, I know, I have just as much of the neutral as I did of the colourful Noro.  Shhh.

Comments are closed.